October 5th is National Do Something Nice Day. Consider these ideas for lending a hand today:
1. Smile. A smile is contagious and warms the heart. It is quite easy to share and is typically reciprocated and elevates the giver’s mood creating the gift that keeps on giving. Remember, you can be the individual who brightens someone’s day!
2. Thinking of You. Take the time this week to send a handwritten note to a family member, friend or colleague. Handwritten notes are rare these days because we simply don’t have time to write them. The impact, however, is huge because you actually took the time to write one. Share a memory or offer a word of encouragement. Don’t forget the stamp!
3. Bring Food. Everyone loves to eat. Show up to the office today with a special treat to express your appreciation for your co-workers. Drop off some cookies for your child’s teacher or some sweets for your local law enforcement or emergency personnel.
4. Express Appreciation. Take the time this week when you see a current or former soldier, law enforcement officer, fireman, or paramedic to thank them for their service. Let them know you appreciate all they do for our country and local community.
5. Make ‘Em Laugh. If laughter is the best medicine, then cure the world with humor. Send a quick text or email with a friend. Post a funny story by the copy machine at work. Make it clean and clever to win extra points.
6. Offer Praise. Highlight someone’s strengths this week by acknowledging their contribution and hard work. Everyone loves to be recognized. A simple word shared goes along way.
7. Express Appreciation. Make it a point today to vocalize your gratefulness. Remember to acknowledge those you interact with even if it is for a few seconds. Thank people for what they contribute, services they willingly provide, or just for being themselves.
As you celebrate this special day, remember to lend a hand and encourage others to Do Something Nice today!